Y's Owl Maclure Cooperative Centre Inc.
100-1140 Morrison Drive
Ottawa, ON K2H8S9
Phone: (613) 721-1500
Fax: (613) 721-6223
Y's Owl Maclure Co-Operative Centre provides day supports and services to adults with disabilities in an environment which promotes the individual's right to become a fully participating member of the community.
We are committed to:
- recognizing the unique spirit of each individual;
- treating all individuals with dignity and respect;
- respecting the individual's right of choice;
- supporting the principle that all individuals are entitled to reasonable risks inherent in personal growth;
- recognizing an individual's strengths and responding to their needs; and
- fostering an environment that encourages all individuals associated with Y's Owl Maclure to strive for excellence.
We focus on providing supports and services which:
- allow for self-direction;
- enhance integration in the community;
- provide peer support;
- offer opportunities for personal growth and improvement of self-esteem.
Y's Owl Maclure Co-Operative Centre is a non-profit charitable organization providing day supports and services to adults with disabilities living in Ottawa.
Originally established as a vocational center, the agency now offers a full range of day supports and services: vocational, supported employment, recreation and leisure and community outreach. Y's Owl Maclure currently serves over 250 individuals with disabilities in both community-based and center-based programs.
Y's Owl Maclure operates as a co-operative. Individuals receiving our services and supports are members of the co-operative and are vested with the legal authority for appointing the Board of Directors, appointing the auditors, and various other decisions of a legal nature. Monthly member meetings are held to allow members to voice their opinions and concerns on issues of their choice.
Y's Owl Maclure is partially funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services and receives the rest of its operating funds through the sale of its services and through fundraising activities.
A brief history
Y's Owl was formed in 1982 by the Y's Men's Club, a service club operating out of the YM / YWCA. The agency was established as a work co-operative, with the individuals with disabilities being the owners and operators of the business. Several years later, the agency was asked to open a residential center and established Ottawa-Carleton Lifeskills. The agencies shared a Board of Directors, an Executive Director, a program site and administrative operations until 1988 at which point operations were separated. In 1999, the agency merged with the K.C. Maclure Center to form Y’s Owl Maclure Co-operative Centre. The Maclure Centre, formerly known as Circle Sandridge was founded in 1985 and provided recreational / leisure and community outreach supports to adults with disabilities.”