The Salvation Army Woodroffe temple Corps
Ottawa, ON K2A3V7
Phone: (613) 829-2975
Fax: (613) 829-9236
Divisional Commander Brigadier Rawling officially opened the Woodroffe Corps on April 15, 1915. The Corps started as the Wellington Street Corps although people sometimes referred to it as the Ottawa Number 3 Corps. The first building purchased and used for worship, was an old movie theater known as the “Nickel Theater” located at 127 Stirling Avenue just off Wellington Street.
The Corps first officers were Captain Pace and Lieutenant Kitt. Lieutenant Kitt left soon after the Corps opened. Lieutenant Ransuff came to assist Captain Pace. Although many people became friends of the Army, some people remained hostile to it and as a result set fire to the old theater. While the repairs to the building took place, the Army moved to an old store on Wellington Street.
Services returned to the old theater upon completion of the repairs. Some time later the Army moved the services back to the store on Wellington Street. The Army then secured another building on Wellington Street which Divisional Commander Col. W. Bettridge officially dedicated on April 13, 1935.
In 1952, the Salvation Army bought a building on Parkdale Avenue. Chief Secretary Colonel Harewood officially opened the building on February 2, 1952. The Corps then became known as the Parkdale Citadel Corps.
In the spring of 1969, construction commenced on a new building at the corner of Fox Crescent and Woodroffe Avenue. While the construction took place, the Army held morning services at Woodroffe Public School and evening services at Woodroffe United Church. During the summer months, the Army held evening services outdoors at Carlingwood Mall (in front of the old Loblaws store). The cost of the building was $250,000. Territorial Commander Commissioner Wiseman officially opened and dedicated Woodroffe Community Church.
In 1982, plans were underway for the expansion of Woodroffe Community Church. The Corps had received $34,366 for the expansion. While construction took place, the Army held morning services at Woodroffe High School and evening services in the Y.P. Hall in Woodroffe Community Church. In the summer months, the Army held services at Andrew Haydon Park. The expansion added the following areas to the Temple: the balcony, multi-purpose room (first floor), multi-purpose room (second floor), lounge (later dedicated in memory of Shona Scott-Douglas), small kitchen, washrooms, Y.P.S.M. Office. Lt. Col. and Mrs. Edwin Brown officially re-opened and dedicated the renovated Temple on October 15, 1983.
The Army made further changes to the Temple in 1988. These changes included: the expansion of the Corps Office to include the Secretary’s Office, a separate office for the second officer, the relocation of the Jennifer Clark Memorial Library to the first floor, a nursery, reconstruction of the Mercy Seat and podium area.